View the Year 1 & 2 Photo Gallery
Welcome to the Year 1 & 2 (Chestnut Class) Page
Your Teachers in Chestnut Class is Miss Walker
Miss Walker is supported by Mrs Bosomworth.
The children in Chestnut Class are in Year One and Two and are making the important transition from the EYFS to Key Stage One of the National Curriculum.
If you have any questions or concerns, please just come and chat to one of us!
Just look what we have in store this half term...
- Chestnut Class Newsletter September 2019 (.pdf)
- Chestnut Class Long Term Plan 2018 (.pdf)
- Chestnut Class Timetable (.pdf)
Chestnut Class have PE on Friday. Please make sure your children have the correct kits in school.
Thank you for all your support with home learning. Our focus with extra learning at home continues to be reading and spelling.
- Children are expected to read at home at least 3 times a week.
- We have a weekly 'reading raffle' each Monday when the children's reading records are checked. Children receive one ticket if they have read three times and two tickets if they have read five times across the week.
- Reading books are sent home daily along with a home learning record. Please sign the home learning record when you hear your child read at home. Children do not always have to read their school reading book. We actively promote a love of reading so please do enjoy any books your child has a passion for!
- Children choose their own reading books so may sometimes choose a book that they have read before because they like it! This is also good for their learning as repetition helps to secure language structures and comprehension, but if the same book comes home too many times, please let us know.
- Please remind your child to put their book and record in the red box each morning should they need a book change.
- If you feel your child is becoming fluent on a particular book band and can answer all your questions relating to the book correctly, please do let Mrs Preston know so she can assess their reading against the coloured bands!
- Y2 children will bring home a list of ten spellings each Friday. They will be tested on them on a Thursday. We are practising each spelling string during school time so the children should be familiar with the words they are learning.
- Y1 children will bring home lists of words which relate to the sounds we have been practising throughout the week. This will support you in practising extra reading, writing and spelling skills with your child.
- Children will usually be given maths homework on a Friday, to be returned the following Thursday. This will usually be in the form of a worksheet. It would be helpful if you could encourage your child to use concrete apparatus, such as counters or beans, number lines or clocks, to work out some of the answers.
- Children should also be regularly reinforcing number bonds (pairs of numbers that make a given total), and counting forwards and back in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s.
Key Words Booklets:
- The key words booklet contains the year one and two words that children need to be able to read on sight (without sounding out) and then to spell accurately. When your child can spell a word list from memory, please ask them to bring in their book to be tested.
The following links also show these key words:
Mrs Carter is teaching our Music curriculum each Friday morning.
Please visit the learning links section of this site for additional resources by subject.